Corporate Immigration Law in Houston, TX, and Moving Your Employees into the U.S.

When you run a business in a specialty field, you want to employ the best talent you can find. This sometimes includes hiring foreign professionals to perform work in the US. The process of moving these employees into the United States can be difficult without an understanding of corporate immigration law in Houston, TX. With the help of an immigration law firm, like Baker Donelson, you can make the process much easier. The type of visa you need to acquire for these professionals will depend on the job.

H1-B Visas

H1-B visas are for employees who wish to come to the United States for the purpose of working in a specialty occupation, services of exceptional merit and ability as it relates to a Department of Defense (DOD) cooperative research and development project or performing services as a fashion model of distinguished merit or ability. The foreign employee cannot self-petition for an H1-B visa – this must be done by you as an employer. You need to ensure that the employee meets all the qualifications. For example, they must have a bachelor’s degree in the field from an accredited university. The visa allows them to work in the United States for six consecutive years before it will need to be renewed. When you speak to our attorneys about corporate immigration law, they can help you determine if your employee qualifies for this visa.

H2-B Visas

H2-B visas are for temporary non-agricultural work. This visa applies to athletes, skilled workers in trades where no U.S. workers are available, and other temp work. In order to petition for an H2-B visa for your employee, you must prove that there are no U.S. workers available, qualified, or willing to perform this job. You must also prove that the job is temporary and will not adversely affect the wages or working conditions of U.S. workers in the same field.

The experienced attorneys at Baker Donelson can help you navigate the complexities of corporate immigration law in Houston, TX. Contact us today for more information.