What is an Employment Visa & How Can I Get One?

What is an Employment Visa & How Can I Get One?

Employment visas are visas designed to allow foreign entrepreneurs and workers into the United States to work and grow their businesses. There are several different types of employment visas that we explore below.

H Visas

The H1-B visa is one of the most popular, and sought-after visas available to foreign workers. They allow U.S.-based businesses to employ foreign professionals that hold specialty occupations.

Examples of some of these specialized occupations include:

  • Accounting
  • Architecture
  • Education
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Marketing
  • Law
  • Engineering

These visas are limited to both occupation and number given each year, so knowing the best windows for applying is crucial.

L Visas

L visas are non-immigrant visas that allow foreign companies to transfer executives and employees to the United States for the purpose of creating or maintaining a foreign office.

There are two categories of L visas:

  • L-1A: These visas are given to executives and managers for up to 7 years, and contain a detailed description of the position.
  • L-1B: These visas are given to specialized employees that have knowledge of company products, services, procedures, systems, etc. These are granted initially for 3 years and can be extended to a maximum of 5 years.

O Visas

These visas are given to individuals who have extraordinary abilities in their field, with a record of extraordinary achievement in sciences, arts, sports, business, motion picture, or television.

There are a minimum number of requirements that need to be met that can be learned about here on our website.

J Visas

These visas are given to research scholars, professors, and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange such as medicine or business training within the United States.

Requirements for this type of visa include:

  • Full proficiency in the English language
  • Must carry medical insurance at the minimum benefit level detailed in the program regulations
  • All exchange visitor applicants must have a SEVIS-generated DS-2019 issued by a DOS designated sponsor

Contact Our Houston Immigration Team Today

We understand the complexities of immigration law and its ability to easily stress and overwhelm those who wish to legally come to the United States. Our firm is committed to helping you achieve your goals in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible.

If you are looking to gain an employment visa and you aren’t sure where to start, do not hesitate to contact us today through our website or give us a call at (713) 286-7182 to schedule your free consultation!