Dependent Visas We're here to help you navigate the immigration process with ease, efficiency & confidence.

Dependent Visa Attorneys in Houston

Securing Temporary Status for Family of Nonimmigrants

While nonimmigrant visas are, by definition, temporary, many of them grant several years of status. Some can even be renewed an unlimited number of times. Fortunately, many nonimmigrant visa categories allow beneficiaries to bring their family members with them to the United States.

At Baker Donelson, our dependent visa lawyers can help you obtain derivative status for your spouse and/or children. Whether you are traveling to the United States to work, perform, compete, study, or carry out any other qualifying activity, you may be able to bring your family with you, and we have the knowledge and skills needed to make this happen.

Learn more about our dependent visa services in Houston by calling (713) 286-7182 or contacting us online. We offer free, 30-minute consultations.

Family of E-1 and E-2 Visa Holders

The E-1 and E-2 visas are for treaty traders and investors. Both nonimmigrant visa categories allow beneficiaries to bring their spouses as well as any unmarried children under 21.

The E-1 and E-2 dependent visas:

  • Grant the same length of stay as the primary E-1/E-2 visa
  • Can be obtained through change of status in the United States
  • Allow spouses to apply for work authorization

This category allows the principal visa holder to travel abroad, and the status is automatically renewed upon their return. However, family members with derivative status must travel with the principal visa holder in order to receive this automatic extension.

Family of F-1 Visa Holders

F-1 visas allow foreign nationals to undertake full-time academic or vocational study in the United States. The spouses and children of F-1 visa holders may qualify for F-2 visas. Children must be unmarried and under 21 years of age, and they can attend school while in the United States.

Family of H-1B Visa Holders

H-1B visas are for temporary workers in specialty positions, and beneficiaries can obtain H-4 visas for their spouses and any children who are unmarried and under 21. Spouses may be able to obtain employment authorization if the H-1B visa holder has begun the adjustment of status process.

Family of J-1 Visa Holders

The J-1 visa category is for participants in authorized foreign exchange programs. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 may qualify for J-2 visas, which will allow them to accompany the J-1 visa holder to the United States. Keep in mind, however, that not every foreign exchange program allows beneficiaries to bring their family members on J-2 visas.

Family of L-1 Visa Holders

The L-1 category is for intracompany transferees. A U.S. employer obtains an L-1 visa for a manager, executive, or employee with specialized knowledge to transfer from a foreign office to a location in the U.S. In some cases, this transfer is for the development of a new office in the U.S.

L-1 visa holders can generally obtain L-2 visas for their spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age. As with many other dependent visa categories, the L-2 visa allows spouses to apply for work authorization.

Ready to put our 40+ years of experience to work for your case? Schedule your free consultation by sending us an online message or calling (713) 286-7182 today.

Family of O-1 and O-2 Visa Holders

Individuals with extraordinary abilities in various fields may qualify for an O-1 or O-2 visa, depending on their field. They may be able to obtain O-3 visas for their spouses and any children who are unmarried and under 21. Recipients of the O-3 visa cannot work in the U.S., but they can study full- or part-time.

Find the Right Visas for You & Your Family

Each nonimmigrant visa has different qualifications and processes, and our team at Baker Donelson can help you determine the right way forward and keep your family together. We can also help you explore your options for achieving lawful permanent residence and eventually citizenship.

  • So happy that I found Mrs. Toppins!

    “Wilka was able to answer questions and help us resolve immigration issues with my mother in-law.”

    - Anna
  • Available & her staff was extremely helpful.

    “I enjoyed the experience so much I now use her for my business as well.”

    - Michael
  • Don’t hesitate, call Wilka immediately & she will solve it!

    “Wilka Toppins is the best Houston Lawyer to take care of your immigration case.”

    - Maro M.
  • Thank you for all of your work!

    “Wilka answered all my questions and saved me a lot of time and money.”

    - Rachel F.
  • The most multifaceted attorney I have ever met!

    “Wilka combines over two decades of high-level corporate law experience with a mastery of the ever changing field of immigration.”

    - Zel S.

Empowering Our Clients With the Knowledge They Need

Some of our most important work involves arming our clients with the knowledge they need to make fully informed decisions. Our goal is to help you understand your rights, survey all options at your disposal, and feel confident about your future in the United States. Let’s begin working toward your goals together.

Let Our Team Handle Your Case

Whether you are applying for a temporary visa or permanent status in the U.S., the stakes may be extraordinarily high. We can help you maximize your likelihood of success so you can accomplish your legal, financial, and personal goals in as little time as possible. The Houston community trusts Baker Donelson with highly complex immigration cases because we consistently go the extra mile for our clients.

Cafecito Con Wilka

Grab your cup of coffee and sit down with Wilka every Thursday as she covers important immigration topics from the Now Media TV studios in Houston Texas.

Important Immigration Insights From Attorney Wilka

  • What is the H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa?

    The H-1B Visa is the specialty occupation visa, ...

  • What is the E2 Treaty Investor Visa?

    The E2 Treaty Investor Visa is a temporary ...

  • What is the Purpose of the O-1 Visa?

    The O-1 Visa is an employment Visa for temporary ...

  • How Do I Start an LLC?

    Are you curious about learning how to start an ...

  • What is the EB-5 Visa?

    The EB-5 Visa is an investor visa that provides ...

  • What is the EB2 & B3 Visa?

    The EB2/EB3 Visa categories allow a person to ...

  • What is the TN Visa?

    The TN Visa is a temporary employment Visa but ...

  • What is the Provisional Waiver?

    The provisional waiver is a process created by the ...

  • Why is Employee Compliance Training Important?

    Employee compliance training means you will train ...

  • What is Family Sponsorship?

    Family immigration is a great option for many ...

  • 5 Strategies for a Good Business Partnership

    5 strategies for a good business partnership are ...

  • Why Should I Have HR Documents in My Company?

    From the moment a company has one employee, it ...


Your Goal of Landing in America is Closer to Becoming a Reality

Schedule a Free Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.