K-1 Fiance Visas We're here to help you navigate the immigration process with ease, efficiency & confidence.

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Lawyers in Houston

Helping You Bring Your Future Spouse to the United States

The difference between immigrant visas and nonimmigrant visas is usually straightforward: immigrant visas provide lawful permanent residence, while nonimmigrant visas only allow for a temporary stay.

The K-1 fiancé(e) nonimmigrant visa, however, is unique. It grants just 90 days of temporary status to the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, but, if the couple marries in the U.S. during this 90-day period, the K-1 visa holder can then adjust their status to lawful permanent residence. If they don’t marry within 90 days of entering the U.S., the visa will expire, and the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) will begin to accumulate unlawful presence. Avoiding this issue is critical, as unlawful presence can prevent you from qualifying for another visa in the future.

At Baker Donelson, our K-1 fiancé(e) visa attorneys can help you navigate all the complexities of this nonimmigrant category. Every type of marriage-based visa undergoes intense scrutiny, as the U.S. government is greatly concerned about marriage fraud (i.e. when a foreign citizen marries a U.S. citizen solely for a green card).

Let our Houston K-1 visa attorneys help you bring your fiancé(e) to the United States. Call t (713) 286-7182 or send us an online message to get started with a free consultation—services in English and Spanish.

How to Obtain a K-1 Visa

To obtain a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e), you both will need to convince the adjudicating officers that your relationship is bona fide (not based solely on the desire to immigrate).

The K-1 visa also requires the following:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen (not a lawful permanent resident or nonimmigrant);
  • You both intend to marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States;
  • You are both legally free to marry (i.e. 18 or older, not in any existing marriages, etc.); and
  • You have met each other at least once within the last two years (unless meeting would violate the strict customs of your fiancé(e)’s culture).

The process begins when you file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). If this petition is approved, your fiancé(e) will apply for a visa through consular processing. Once they obtain the visa, they will need to pass through inspection at a U.S. port of entry. If all goes according to plan, CBP will grant your fiancé(e) 90 days of temporary status so they can marry you and obtain a green card. If your fiancé(e) has children, they will likely be able to obtain K-2 status, as well.

During this process, both of you will likely need to go through background/security checks and interviews. An immigration agency may send a request for additional evidence. Navigating these complex procedures can be extraordinarily difficult without professional assistance, which is why we urge you to get in touch with us here at Baker Donelson at the beginning of your process. We can help you maximize your odds of success.

For assistance with the K-1 visa application process, give us a call at (713) 286-7182 or reach out to us online. We look forward to putting our 40+ years of experience to work for you and your partner.

A Note About Conditional Permanent Residence

Like other visas based on new marriages (specifically, marriages that are less than two years old), the adjustment of status process for K-1 visa holders results in a conditional green card.

A conditional green card is only valid for two years, rather than the typical ten. At the end of this two-year period, the conditional green card holder will need to apply to remove conditions on their permanent residence. This is a different form and process than simply replacing an expiring green card. USCIS will assess the situation and check for signs of marriage fraud before removing conditions and granting a regular green card.

  • So happy that I found Mrs. Toppins!

    “Wilka was able to answer questions and help us resolve immigration issues with my mother in-law.”

    - Anna
  • Available & her staff was extremely helpful.

    “I enjoyed the experience so much I now use her for my business as well.”

    - Michael
  • Don’t hesitate, call Wilka immediately & she will solve it!

    “Wilka Toppins is the best Houston Lawyer to take care of your immigration case.”

    - Maro M.
  • Thank you for all of your work!

    “Wilka answered all my questions and saved me a lot of time and money.”

    - Rachel F.
  • The most multifaceted attorney I have ever met!

    “Wilka combines over two decades of high-level corporate law experience with a mastery of the ever changing field of immigration.”

    - Zel S.
Comprehensive, Empowering Service

At Baker Donelson, we don’t simply provide counsel and representation. We help our clients understand their rights, overcome challenges throughout their immigration journey, and take steps toward achieving their long-term legal and personal goals. With decades of experience, we are proud to serve as a wealth of knowledge for our clients.

Get started on your learning process by getting in touch with us today.

Cafecito Con Wilka

Grab your cup of coffee and sit down with Wilka every Thursday as she covers important immigration topics from the Now Media TV studios in Houston Texas.

Important Immigration Insights From Attorney Wilka

  • What is the Purpose of the O-1 Visa?

    The O-1 Visa is an employment Visa for temporary ...

  • 5 Strategies for a Good Business Partnership

    5 strategies for a good business partnership are ...

  • What is Family Sponsorship?

    Family immigration is a great option for many ...

  • What is the TN Visa?

    The TN Visa is a temporary employment Visa but ...

  • What is the H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa?

    The H-1B Visa is the specialty occupation visa, ...

  • What is the E2 Treaty Investor Visa?

    The E2 Treaty Investor Visa is a temporary ...

  • What is the L1 Visa?

    The L1 Visa is called the executive transfer Visa. ...

  • Why is Employee Compliance Training Important?

    Employee compliance training means you will train ...

  • What is the EB2 & B3 Visa?

    The EB2/EB3 Visa categories allow a person to ...

  • What is the EB-5 Visa?

    The EB-5 Visa is an investor visa that provides ...

  • What is the Provisional Waiver?

    The provisional waiver is a process created by the ...

  • Why Should I Have HR Documents in My Company?

    From the moment a company has one employee, it ...


Your Goal of Landing in America is Closer to Becoming a Reality

Schedule a Free Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.